Oct 1, 2012

PUMPKIN COOKIES

There's a saying I once came across that says "the days are long, but the years are short". I would have to agree- although sometimes it feels like "the days are short, and the years are shorter". I do experience days where I realize twenty four hours is just not enough! 

As for now, well for starters... we're already in October...which means there are just three months left to this year. Goodness gracious, unbelievable. Another thing is that it's been just over two years since I moved to the US. And if there's one thing I realized- coming from a life spent in Europe- is that pumpkin is a national obsession over here. Especially around this time of the year... 

So I tell myself it's always good to embrace a bit of local culture, especially in the kitchen. After all, an entire season of pumpkin spiked desserts is really a quintessential bite of Americana...and that brings me to add lots of orange into my baking with these fantastic pumpkin cookies. I made these same time last year and the end result was terrific. Make them plain, or throw in a handful of chocolate chips, nuts, cranberries...whatever tickles your tastebuds!

Sweet orange batters will be a staple for the next few months...
With the cookie dough mixed, I threw in some butterscotch morsels...
Ready to go into the oven...
Fifteen minutes later...have one! 

Pumpkin Cookies
Makes about 30 cookies

2.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 cup of chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruits (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F/180C
In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Follow by adding the butter, vanilla, pumpkin puree and egg. Mix well. If you decide to add chocolate chips, nuts, etc, fold in gently to the cookie dough. 
Drop cookie dough with a tablespoon onto baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. 

*If you have time, I would highly recommend making the cookie dough a night ahead. I feel the flavors soak in nicely and texture is improved once baked*

No comments: